Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Poem I Wrote Today

BRUISES


The Chinese craftsman who makes a vase in what they call eggshell porcelain can give it a lovely shape, ornament it with a beautiful design, stain it a ravishing colour, and give it a perfect glaze, but from its very nature he can't make it anything but fragile.

- W.S. MAUGHAM


I don't know why I did it.

I actually took the time to paint that peach into an apple.

I know exactly why I did it,

But you wound up taking the false fruit to work with you in your lunchbox.

If you knew your apple for what it was,

A peach and not an apple,

You'd have been more careful with its placement, I'm sure.


At lunchtime your apple was all bruised and all wrong,

But you enjoyed the unexpected taste.

You came home with flowers for me,

And you and I talked about how much we love surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment