Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Rant is a Rant is a Rant

"The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second." - from John Steinbeck's Cannery Row


If Netflix makes good on their promise, I should receive season two of "Mad Men" today and that's not what I want.

You see, I hate Mad Men. The men, not the show. It's hard to watch their philandering and pompousness and then respect any male creature. It's actually nauseating to see the double-lives lead by these ad executives -  to see them conduct affairs with so many women and then go home to their sad, pretty wives.

Then I realize that this is television and not all successful men are abominable - although I can't really think of any at the present. How does this happen? I need a bulleted list:


  • Men who crave money and power are, by nature, assholes. 
  • Men who are good at smooth-talking their clients are also good at lying to their families.
  • Once a man gets a taste of money and power, there is no saving his goodness.
  • A man's work becomes him.
  • Wealthy and powerful men feel they deserve to see their whims fulfilled. 
  • Wait, wait, wait
...I know plenty of unemployed or underemployed guys who act this way too. Were they once successful? Are they the offspring of the aforementioned douche?

I guess what I want to know is, can a man be successful in the eyes of the States and be highly regarded by the citizens of it? Can one be a powerhouse in the boardroom without being egomaniacal?

Do nice guys really finish last if they don't put the nice-guy-schtick on the shelf from 9 - 5? That's not fair. We're cultivating shit.

1 comment:

  1. Huh. I hear you. There are lots of people who are materially successful that behave badly in the world. But I don't believe that there is a direct correlation between jerk-dom and business prowess. I'm more of a proponent of the 'spectrum' theory, where one may be more likely to display more selfish/arrogant traits if one is, say, an Oil Company CEO, than if one is a Zen monk. But it's not like there are two categories of people; good and bad. I've met some 'spiritual' people who act very badly towards others, yet content themselves with the trappings of spirituality that they enjoy- chanting, meditation, consulting gurus, etc. Meanwhile spirituality is basically only about kindness. What I mean is that the exterior circumstances of someone's life; job, social status, romantic, familial, and platonic attachments, has an impact on - but does not dictate the quality of someone's character. I'm sure that's obvious, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

    My father was a real life Mad Man for 20 years in the 70's and 80's. He was successful. He never had to be an asshole, or betray my mother, or be anything other than smart and hard-working. When people meet him, they often remark on his kind and gentle way. But that wouldn't have made for very good TV, now would it?

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete